Outlook supports three kinds of message formats; these include HTML, Plain Text, and Rich Text Format. By default HTML is set as your message format in Outlook, you can switch to another one whenever you want. Message format can be changed for a message right from that message. HTML is a default format that works in all places, plain text also works for all but doesn’t support text formatting, whereas RTF (Rich Text Format) is only supported in some specific emails client. Here is how to change & set email format in Outlook your account.
Changing the message format in Outlook by setting as the default
You have two ways to change the message format in Outlook. You can change the format for the messages you’re replying or forwarding. But, if you don’t want to change it again and again for each message, you can set the message format you want as default. Here are the steps to do so.
1. Open the ‘Outlook’ app.
2. Allow it to load completely.
3. Now, open the ‘File’ tab and go to ‘Options.’ Outlook Options window will open up on the screen.
4. In the left column, click on ‘Mail’ (second option).
5. Under Compose messages, click the button next to ‘Compose messages in this format.’ This opens a drop down with all the three messages formats.
6. Select a message format you want to set as default. Remember this format will apply to all the Outlook emails.
7. Now, click on ‘OK’ to save and apply.
Now, all the messages you create, reply, forward from your Outlook account will be in the new message format.
How to change the format for messages you create, reply or forward from Outlook.com
If you only want to change the message format for the messages, you create, reply, and forward from Outlook.com, follow the instructions given below.
1. Open Outlook and click on the ‘Settings’ icon.
2. Now, from the Quick Settings options open all Outlook settings by clicking on ‘View all Outlook settings.’
3. In the left Settings column, click on ‘Mail’ (second option).
4. Click ‘Compose and Reply’ (first option) in the next column.
5. Under Message format, click the button in ‘Compose messages in [Button] format.’ This opens a drop down with the entire three messages formats.
6. Select a message format you want to set as default.
7. Click ‘Save’ at the top of the window.
8. And Close ‘Settings.’
The message format you’ve selected will be available for all the messages you send.
How to change the format only for a message
For the message, you’re replying or forwarding:
1. When you’re in the message, click on ‘Reply/Reply All/Forward’ option. Click ‘Pop Out’ if you’re in the Reading Pane.
2. Now, click on ‘FORMAT TEXT’ tab at the top.
3. Then, select the new format.
For a new message:
1. Create a new message.
2. When you’re in the message window, open the ‘FORMAT TEXT’ tab from the top. Click ‘Pop Out’ if you’re in the Reading Pane.
3. Then, select the new format.
Done! The selected format will be applied to the message.
Mike Smith is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cyber security. He writes about the latest updates regarding norton.com/setup and how it can improve the work experience of users. His articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs and websites.